Pedigree V Leicester St. Margaret's
Pedigree SE Seighford
The village of Seighford was mentioned as Siberford in the Domesday Book and the parish church is dedicated to St. Chad, suggesting there has been a church there since Saxon times. Parts of the present church building are of Norman origin. Parish registers for the church began in 1561. It is named for the ford which even now flows across a road in the village.
Seighford lies 3 miles northwest of Stafford, the county town, and Cannock is some 11 miles to the southeast and has similarly early beginnings, with the parish church, St. Luke’s having its origin in Norman times. Unfortunately, a fire in the church in 1850 destroyed most of its registers. Dunston and Penkridge are villages between Seighford and Cannock.
In an Archdeaconry census taken in 1538 there were only 2 Worthington families in Staffordshire, one in Walsall and the other in Cheadle. The earliest references to Worthington in parish registers in the 16th century are to families in Walsall and Tamworth.!
Pedigree NE Newbold
There has been a place named Worthington in Leicestershire since Saxon times. But it is not known exactly when the first Worthington family arrived in the county. The Worthington Families of Medieval England by Philip M Worthington states that the earliest reference to a Worthington in Leicestershire was Peter de Worthington about the middle of the thirteenth century. But thereafter there was little or nothing about the family name until the sixteenth century when several branches of Worthingtons existed in Leicestershire. One of these lived in Belton, just two and a half miles from Worthington. We know that by the seventeenth century there were at least four other Worthington family groups living in the county; in Lockington, Leicester St Margaret’s, Newton Juxta Twycross and Orton on the Hill. Each has its own narrative and pedigree in this series.
Newbold was one of three main hamlets, the others being Worthington and Coleorton, in the parish of Breedon on the Hill. The parish church in Breedon is dedicated to St Mary and St Hardulph and is known as the Priory church. It has a long history dating back as a priory (to around 1120) and a monastery (during the seventh century). Parish records survive from 1562-3 for baptisms, marriages and burials and are deposited at Leicester Record Office. Many are nowadays also viewable online from a number of websites.
The hamlet of Worthington had its own chapelry as far back as the thirteenth century and was part of Breedon parish. It became a parish in its own right in the eighteenth century and is dedicated to St Matthew. There are registers recording baptisms from 1636 but there is only one entry for a Worthington, at least during the seventeenth century (Francis in 1636). Marriages and burials appear to have been performed at the “mother” church of St Mary and St Hardulph in Breedon on the Hill.
Coleorton also had its own church, St Mary’s, and there is a register there of christenings, marriages and burials from 1660 – 1700. These include several entries for Worthington family members during this time, indicating that at least one family was settled there.
The hamlets are situated just over 5 miles NNE of Ashby de la Zouch and close to the bordering county of Derbyshire. Newbold is about 1 mile south west of Worthington, with Coleorton nestled in between. It should not be confused with Newbold Vardon, Leicestershire which is situated some 11 miles south of Coleorton.