Brixworth is a large hilltop village about 5 miles north of Northampton, the county town, and it is not much further to the villages of Irthlingborough and Higham Ferrers and the town of Wellingborough. The road linking Northampton and Market Harborough, Leicestershire runs through Brixworth. It is an early settlement mentioned in the Domesday book.
The large parish church dedicated to All Saints’ had its foundations on the site of an abbey dating from the seventh century at the time of the Saxons. Roman bricks and tiles have been found and the church is an imposing building in Romanesque style.
The parish registers start in 1546, but the first record of the Worthington family is the marriage of Richard in 1578-9.
There is no record of the place and date of Richard’s birth. His son Matthew was baptised in All Saints’ Church on 25 February 1578-9, the first of four children to be baptised there. The name of his wife Ursula was given in his will dated 4 November, 1624. He described himself as a yeoman (as recorded in the Northamptonshire and rutland Probate index). Richard died soon afterwards and was buried 11 November 1624. Two further children were named in his will, Edward and Thomas. His wife, Ursula, died in 1626 and was buried on the 11th of April at Brixworth.